Immigration Office – queries and appointments requests
A residence permit must be applied for (depending on the visa obtained and the existing provisions) at the Police Headquarters of the province where the foreigner is actually based within 8 working days of his/her entry into Italy.
Renewal of a residence permit (where allowed) may be applied for at the Police Headquarters of the province where the foreigner is actually based 60 days before its expiry date.
Legislative Decree No. 286/1998 as subsequently amended (Consolidated Immigration Act).
Presidential Decree No. 349/1994 as subsequently amended (Regulation implementing the Consolidated Immigration Act).
Types of residence permits/residence cards/travel documents, etc. to be applied for directly to the Immigration Office Desk – pre-booked appointments only - or to Commissariati di PS (Police Stations) with local jurisdiction:
- International Protection / Political Asylum (Application - Issue)
- Asilo (status di rifugiato riconosciuto) - casi speciali - ex motivi umanitari - protezione speciale - protezione sussidiaria (rilasci, rinnovi e duplicati - per le conversioni a lavoro V. sotto)
- Nulla osta per l'accoglienza temporanea di minori Bielorussi per vacanze terapeutiche (cd. bambini di Chernobyl) (IN COSTRUZIONE)
- Residence permit for working holiday (only for foreign nationals from countries which have entered into a specific agreement with the Italian State)
Types of residence permits or residence cards to be applied for through post office help desks displaying the sign “Sportello Amico” by filling in the application kit (the application must be submitted at the post office in an unsealed envelope):
- political asylum or status of stateless person (renewals only)
- awaiting the granting or recognition of Italian citizenship
- conversion of a residence permit (where allowed)
- duplicates and updates of the residence permits listed herewith
- self-employment / employment / pending employment
- religious reasons
- long-term EU residence permit
- chosen residence
- study purposes (exceeding 90 days) / scientific research / apprenticeship or professional training.
Free and qualified assistance for completing the application kit can be obtained from the Patronati (trade union-based institutions) which have signed an agreement with the Ministry of Interior. They will also provide a list of the required documents. The list of the Patronati and Post Offices offering this service can be searched by municipality at www.portaleimmigrazione.it .
After submitting the application kit, the Post Office will give applicants a special receipt stating that they have applied for the issue or renewal of their residence permit and a printout with their subsequent appointment at the Questura (Police Headquarters). The applicant will find a password and a user-ID on the receipt to check the progress of their residence permit issue on the official national website of the Polizia di Stato (please enter all password numbers including the last one, except the dash).
FAILURE TO ATTEND PRE-BOOKED APPOINTMENTS MADE THROUGH THE POST OFFICE: anyone who has missed a pre-booked appointment at the Questura must book a new appointment only when the date given has already passed. See opening hours and address. For missed appointments at the Commissariato di PS di Montevarchi or Sansepolcro see.: opening hours and address.
Visa for Italy - Information for foreigners intending to come to Italy (Ministry of Foreign Affairs Official Site)
Covid-19 Travelling to Italy from abroad and travelling from Italy (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation website)